Here at Laurel Springs School, we know our teachers are the heart and soul of all we do. We’ve cultivated a team comprised of the best and brightest. Our hope is that each LSS graduate will enter the world full of curiosity, compassion, and empowered with the knowledge to make a positive impact on the world today and for the many days ahead.
Today, May 9, is Teacher Appreciation Day and, while we value our faculty every day, we wished to take today as a special opportunity to highlight some of the wise and caring people who give their all to make Laurel Springs the vibrant, one-of-a-kind institution that it is.
Janna Chiang, World Languages and Electives Academic Department Chair, would like to highlight:
- World language instructor Michael Verderaime. Chiang says, “He is thoughtful and provides detailed and personalized instruction. He often goes ‘above and beyond’ to help students.”
- World language instructor Mona Vartanian. “Mona is attentive and thorough,” Chiang says. “Mona always puts students first and is an amazing colleague, and a great team player.”
- Elective instructor Jacquelyn Yoast. Chiang says, “She is creative and a problem solver. Jacquelyn is able to address any student issues and develop a game plan to best support the student.”
- Elective instructor Susan Price. “Her caring and sweet personality is infectious and shows through her individualized feedback,” Chiang says. “She works to earn students’ trust; in fact, students often see her as the ‘go-to’ teacher.”
Ellen Doyle, Science Academic Department Chair, would like to highlight:
- Instructor Tony Hermann. “Tony’s unwavering dedication to LSS has been obvious since he joined Laurel Springs more than four years ago,” Doyle says. “His flexibility, great attitude, and dedication to helping the students is apparent to both parents and coworkers. Tony is always willing to take on any task and consistently goes over and above for his students and the organization.”
- Instructor Rachel Falk. Doyle says, “Rachel’s incredibly kind and nurturing nature is apparent in the work she does every day. Rachel is always willing to provide the extra support that many students need to be successful. Her encouragement and positive nature have touched many students’ lives.”
Alex Schroeder, English Academic Department Chair, would like to highlight:
- Instructor Nikki Haaksma. “She is lucky enough to come to us from the beautiful beaches of Hawaii, and delivers the highest quality in customer service and student learning support,” Schroeder says. “She takes the time to know each of her students personally and their unique place in the learning journey.”
- Instructor Meg Easling. Schroeder says, “A compassionate and supportive LSS veteran teacher, she thrives on building student connections and is a true patriot of the LSS mission and vision. Meg has a myriad of interesting outside interests and brings a unique perspective to her style of teaching and student support.”
Bridget Schleifer, K-8 Academic Department Chair, would like to highlight:
- Fourth grade instructor Beverly Mills. “Our fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Mills, has been a teacher with Laurel Springs since 1998,” Schleifer says. “Her iClasses are always an adventure and she loves connecting with her students.”
- Middle school instructor Cindy Blandford. “Mrs. Blandford enjoys working with students virtually and pushing them to become better writers,” Schleifer says.
- Fifth grade instructor Kathryn Glasgow. “Mrs. Glasgow teaches fifth grade at Laurel Springs and also serves as a teacher mentor to our new teachers,” Schleifer says. “Mrs. Glasgow enjoys running marathons and spending time with her family.”
- Middle school instructor Alicia Hyma. “Mrs. Hyma teaches science and social studies in our middle school,” Schleifer says. “Mrs. Hyma is a talented teacher and enjoys personalizing assignments and projects to meet the needs of her students.”
Leigh Tillman, Mathematics Academic Department Chair, would like to highlight:
- Instructor Jeff Herkimer. “Jeff is a long-time LSS instructor and is one of the best!” Tillman says. “He is dedicated to his students, provides incredibly helpful and instructive feedback, and is always so encouraging to his students.”
- Instructor Patti McClimans. Tillman says, “Patti is new to LSS this year but has been an outstanding addition to our faculty! She is passionate, knowledgeable, and provides an amazing experience for her students, not only through her communication and feedback but also through her participation in LSS Live.”
- Instructor Ruth Kivisto. “Ruth has been a part of the LSS team for almost two years and is a wonderful asset to our department!” Tillman says. “She is one of the best with her iClass instructional topics and methods, and is always helpful and willing to go the extra mile to support and guide her students.”
We thank these individuals along with all of our teachers for the hard work and dedication they bring to the virtual classroom for each lesson. We appreciate you, LSS teachers!