MS 2D Studio Art
Close your eyes and imagine you’re standing in an art studio—the smell of paint, the heat of the kiln, and the infinite creative possibilities that linger in the air. This is where art is born, and in 2D Studio Art, you’ll learn how to bring your art visions to life. Whatever medium you prefer—painting, drawing, photography—this course will teach you the design elements and principles needed to create a work of art, explore your artistic inspirations, travel back in time to look at art in different cultures, and gain insight about the art of critiquing. If you’ve ever dreamed about making a living as an artist, this course will give you the tools and background that you need to turn those dreams into a reality!
By the end of the course, students will be able to
- Understand colors, and how to create colors using the technique of mixing
- Classify colors into different categories
- Discover assorted tools used to create artwork
- Explore various art mediums to get unique looks for your artwork
- Identify the elements of design
- Distinguish between the different principles of design
- Understand the elements of content and how to use them in your own artwork
- Use art vocabulary to correctly describe different elements of your artwork
- Identify different genres in the art world
- Distinguish between representational and abstract art
- Relate art genres with other academic subjects
- Learn about famous artists and their exploration of particular genres and ideas
- Examine ancient art from all over the world
- Learn how our early ancestors/artists created works of art
- See into the lives of people from years ago by their art they left behind
- Explore the possibilities of future careers in the field of 2D art
- Learn details about particular jobs and what they might look like as a career choice
- Discover ways in which ancient art influenced how we create art today
- Understand what critiquing is
- Discover why it is important to critique
- Learn the critiquing process
- Use art vocabulary during the critiquing process
- Talk about common themes that are used in art throughout the world
- See how the theme of daily life in art can show us differences in the cultures and lifestyles of people around the world
- Understand how art can freeze a moment in time and give us the opportunity to look back on historical moments
- Learn about celebrations and rituals that incorporate 2D art
- See how the beauty of nature inspires artists throughout the world
- Discover best practices for visiting an art museum
- Understand proper etiquette for visiting an art museum
- Learn about other places art may live
- Explore reasons why we create, collect, and exhibit art
- Understand the different educational paths required to break into these careers
- LMS Access
- Standard laptop or desktop computers with Windows or Mac OS
- High-speed internet connection (Cable, DSL)
- Unit 1: Breaking into 2D Studio Art
- Unit 2: Detailing the Design
- Unit 3: The Creative Process of Art
- Unit 4: Art and its Early Importance
- Midterm Exam
- Unit 5: Everyone’s a Critic
- Unit 6: Discovering Culture through Common Themes
- Unit 7: Where Art Lives
- Unit 8: Finding a Career Path through Art
- Final Exam
Laurel Springs meets the highest standard of academic excellence. We are fully Accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC) and Cognia. We offer a broad catalog of courses approved by the NCAA Division I & II and the University of California A-G.
How do online courses work?Students have 24/7 access to complete our online courses anywhere with a reliable internet connection. In the virtual classroom, students can see upcoming assignments, readings, and due dates. They can easily view instructions, submit files, and get regular instructor feedback, staying ahead by tracking learning progress and grades.
What do students need to be successful in online courses?To prepare for each course and learn effectively online, students will need to leverage technology, required course materials, and a can-do attitude, with support from our Laurel Springs Admissions Team. It helps to have a family strategy for scheduling time to study and a backup plan in case something comes up. Students must also have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection. For some tasks, students may use a mobile device.
My child needs a course that's not available for purchase online. How can I access the full catalog?
We're working hard to add our entire course portfolio for online purchase, but for now we're limited. We have a robust Program of Study (Course Catalog) ready for purchase through our dedicated Admissions Team. We encourage you to call 866-708-0871 to choose your course and finalize your tuition payment. View Course Catalog
How will I be charged for single courses?After paying your non-refundable application fee, you will have seven days to review your order with an Admissions Coordinator before being charged the remaining balance for course tuition.
How diverse is Laurel Springs and your curriculum?
Laurel Springs is a top-tier online private school with a stellar reputation for providing quality education. We pride ourselves on our 30+ year history of educating Olympic athletes, accelerated learners, performing artists, and everyone in between.
We offer 230+ college-prep courses, 65 world language courses, 58 honors and AP courses, 168 NCAA-approved courses and 292 UC a-g-approved courses.