MS Digital Photography 1 B
Do you have vacation photos or pics of your pet that need a little editing? How about getting ready to add that new selfie you took to your social media platform? Taking photos is an art, and editing photos is a skill that many photographers seek to master.
Explore how to manipulate angles and lighting, the purpose for different types of photo files, how to use different software to edit photos, and safe places you can store them. You'll be well on your way to being an editing guru when you are done with this course.
By the end of the course, students will be able to
- Discuss how to prepare to photograph a vacation
- Identify some common vacation photographs
- Describe some of the problems that people have when photographing vacations
- List tips for improving vacation photos
- Apply vacation photograph tips in your hometown
- Identify common problems found in photographs of animals
- Explain solutions to common animal photography problems
- Discuss some general tips for taking better animal photographs
- Describe specific tips to use while photographing birds and pets
- Discuss how lighting can affect photographs of people
- Recognize some ways to improve images of people
- Identify some of the pros and cons of posed and candid photographs
- Define self-portraits and explain how to create unique self-images
- Describe the role and responsibilities of a branding photographer
- Describe the common file types used to save digital images and the advantages and disadvantages of each
- Explain the importance of photo organization
- Discuss methods to back up photos and the importance of saving your photos in more than one place
- Apply common photo-editing functions to your own photographs
- Discuss and follow photography etiquette
- Describe some of the rules and laws that influence and affect photography
- Explain the steps involved in printing, mounting, and framing photos
- Plan a display of your photography
- Describe photography as a career and the different career paths that photographers can take
- Use public speaking skills, strong writing skills, and technological understanding to market yourself as a photographer
- Explain the steps to build a powerful portfolio
- Discuss how to find your personal photography style and communicate your photographic journey to your audience
Prerequisite: The successful completion of Digital Photography 1A
- LMS Access
- Digital camera: "point and shoot" or above
*A Smartphone may be used for most required tasks; however, appropriate applications will need to be installed to allow the student to make the necessary adjustments to the camera mode, shutter speed, and aperture.
- Paper and Pen/Pencil for note taking
- Camera cord to transfer images to the computer
- Image editing software
- Lighting tools for side, front, and back lighting
- Standard laptop or desktop computers with Windows or Mac OS
- High-speed internet connection (Cable, DSL)
- Unit 1: Vacation Photos
- Unit 2: The Wild Side
- Unit 3: Photographing People
- Middle School Photography Midterm Exam
- Unit 4: Managing & Editing Your Photos
- Unit 5: Photographer Etiquette & Display
- Unit 6: The Bigger “Picture”
- Middle School Photography Final Exam
Laurel Springs meets the highest standard of academic excellence. We are fully Accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC) and Cognia. We offer a broad catalog of courses approved by the NCAA Division I & II and the University of California A-G.
Single Course FAQs
How do online courses work?Students have 24/7 access to complete our online courses anywhere with a reliable internet connection. In the virtual classroom, students can see upcoming assignments, readings, and due dates. They can easily view instructions, submit files, and get regular instructor feedback, staying ahead by tracking learning progress and grades.
What do students need to be successful in online courses?To prepare for each course and learn effectively online, students will need to leverage technology, required course materials, and a can-do attitude, with support from our Laurel Springs Admissions Team. It helps to have a family strategy for scheduling time to study and a backup plan in case something comes up. Students must also have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection. For some tasks, students may use a mobile device.
My child needs a course that's not available for purchase online. How can I access the full catalog?
We're working hard to add our entire course portfolio for online purchase, but for now we're limited. We have a robust Program of Study (Course Catalog) ready for purchase through our dedicated Admissions Team. We encourage you to call 866-708-0871 to choose your course and finalize your tuition payment. View Course Catalog
How will I be charged for single courses?After paying your non-refundable application fee, you will have seven days to review your order with an Admissions Coordinator before being charged the remaining balance for course tuition.
How diverse is Laurel Springs and your curriculum?
Laurel Springs is a top-tier online private school with a stellar reputation for providing quality education. We pride ourselves on our 30+ year history of educating Olympic athletes, accelerated learners, performing artists, and everyone in between.
We offer 230+ college-prep courses, 65 world language courses, 58 honors and AP courses, 168 NCAA-approved courses and 292 UC a-g-approved courses.