MS Coding 1a
Learn all about the technology you use in your day-to-day life and explore how the internet functions through this introduction to coding. Build your knowledge of algorithms, programming constructs, and program design to create your own code. Discover how to solve problems with code while dabbling with Tynker and Python to begin your journey into this exciting field!
By the end of the course, students will be able to
- Create algorithms to solve word games and puzzles
- Identify the components of a computer system
- Define the term algorithm and explain how it applies to computers
- Distinguish between problems that are better suited for humans to solve than computers and vice versa
- Define the term “software” and explain how software helps businesses perform tasks
- Understand why file types are necessary and describe the content contained in different file types
- Compare and contrast types of software and recommend the software that’s best suited for a task
- Improve keyboarding skills by typing frequently using symbols in code
- Explain the purpose of a database and perform common database operations
- Understand how block-based programming can be used to code
- Understand and use for loops to repeat a block of code a specific number of times
- Understand and use while loops to repeat a block of code until a condition is satisfied
- Create simple programs in Tynker
- Define and apply the three main programming constructs—sequence, selection, and iteration
- Learn how to debug a program
- Describe how and why computers use binary
- Convert between binary and decimal number systems
- List and discuss the four components of programming languages
- Identify and use two common approaches for program design
- Comfortably use an online IDE to write code
- Understand the difference between the Editor and the Interpreter screens
- Use variables containing different data types and correctly type cast
- Receive and process user input
- Write a program that takes user input and applies a mathematical formula to it
- Regulate the flow of a program by using if statements
- Increment a variable to keep count
- LMS Access
- Device that can record video or audio
- Standard laptop or desktop computers with Windows or Mac OS
- High-speed internet connection (Cable, DSL)
- Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Unit 1: Crack the Code!
- Unit 2: There’s Nothing “Soft” about Software!
- Unit 3: Let’s Play!
- Midterm Review and Test
- Unit 4: It’s All Greek to Me!
- Unit 5: Snake Charmer
- Unit 6: Flexing Our Python Muscles!
- Final Review and Test
Laurel Springs meets the highest standard of academic excellence. We are fully Accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC) and Cognia. We offer a broad catalog of courses approved by the NCAA Division I & II and the University of California A-G.
How do online courses work?Students have 24/7 access to complete our online courses anywhere with a reliable internet connection. In the virtual classroom, students can see upcoming assignments, readings, and due dates. They can easily view instructions, submit files, and get regular instructor feedback, staying ahead by tracking learning progress and grades.
What do students need to be successful in online courses?To prepare for each course and learn effectively online, students will need to leverage technology, required course materials, and a can-do attitude, with support from our Laurel Springs Admissions Team. It helps to have a family strategy for scheduling time to study and a backup plan in case something comes up. Students must also have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection. For some tasks, students may use a mobile device.
My child needs a course that's not available for purchase online. How can I access the full catalog?
We're working hard to add our entire course portfolio for online purchase, but for now we're limited. We have a robust Program of Study (Course Catalog) ready for purchase through our dedicated Admissions Team. We encourage you to call 866-708-0871 to choose your course and finalize your tuition payment. View Course Catalog
How will I be charged for single courses?After paying your non-refundable application fee, you will have seven days to review your order with an Admissions Coordinator before being charged the remaining balance for course tuition.
How diverse is Laurel Springs and your curriculum?
Laurel Springs is a top-tier online private school with a stellar reputation for providing quality education. We pride ourselves on our 30+ year history of educating Olympic athletes, accelerated learners, performing artists, and everyone in between.
We offer 230+ college-prep courses, 65 world language courses, 58 honors and AP courses, 168 NCAA-approved courses and 292 UC a-g-approved courses.