MS Coding 1b
By the end of the course, students will be able to
- Define and use the list data structure in Python
- Iterate over a list in Python using for and while loops
- Write user-defined functions in Python
- Re-structure programs to use functions for greater efficiency
- Write a basic, high-level, structured plan for a program
- Convert a high-level plan to pseudocode
- Define and apply the iterative process to pseudocode and coding
- Write Python code for a basic text-based adventure game
- Identify the main purpose of information and evaluate the soundness of an argument
- Explain the difference between the internet and the World Wide Web
- Understand how websites are transferred from servers to computers
- Identify and use common HTML tags to build a basic webpage
- Use CSS to apply style to an HTML document
- Understand and apply the div tag to webpages
- Use a variety of HTML and CSS to create a webpage with pictures that appear when clicked on or hovered over
- Create a spreadsheet that includes formulas and a graph
- Implement HTML web forms with text fields and buttons
- Evaluate how technology has affected society
- Define and complete a trace table to find errors
- Use the debugger tool in an IDE
- Create a publication using Lucidpress
- Describe how models and simulations help us analyze and solve problems
Prerequisite: The successful completion of Middle School Coding 1A
- LMS Access
- Device that can record video or audio
- Standard laptop or desktop computers with Windows or Mac OS
- High-speed internet connection (Cable, DSL)
- Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Unit 1: How to Train Your Python
- Unit 2: Plan the Code, Code the Plan
- Unit 3: Build a Webpage
- Midterm Review and Test
- Unit 4: Give Your Webpage Some Style
- Unit 5: Buttons and Gadgets
- Unit 6: Become a Master Exterminator!
- Final Review and Test
Laurel Springs meets the highest standard of academic excellence. We are fully Accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges (WASC) and Cognia. We offer a broad catalog of courses approved by the NCAA Division I & II and the University of California A-G.
How do online courses work?Students have 24/7 access to complete our online courses anywhere with a reliable internet connection. In the virtual classroom, students can see upcoming assignments, readings, and due dates. They can easily view instructions, submit files, and get regular instructor feedback, staying ahead by tracking learning progress and grades.
What do students need to be successful in online courses?To prepare for each course and learn effectively online, students will need to leverage technology, required course materials, and a can-do attitude, with support from our Laurel Springs Admissions Team. It helps to have a family strategy for scheduling time to study and a backup plan in case something comes up. Students must also have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection. For some tasks, students may use a mobile device.
My child needs a course that's not available for purchase online. How can I access the full catalog?
We're working hard to add our entire course portfolio for online purchase, but for now we're limited. We have a robust Program of Study (Course Catalog) ready for purchase through our dedicated Admissions Team. We encourage you to call 866-708-0871 to choose your course and finalize your tuition payment. View Course Catalog
How will I be charged for single courses?After paying your non-refundable application fee, you will have seven days to review your order with an Admissions Coordinator before being charged the remaining balance for course tuition.
How diverse is Laurel Springs and your curriculum?
Laurel Springs is a top-tier online private school with a stellar reputation for providing quality education. We pride ourselves on our 30+ year history of educating Olympic athletes, accelerated learners, performing artists, and everyone in between.
We offer 230+ college-prep courses, 65 world language courses, 58 honors and AP courses, 168 NCAA-approved courses and 292 UC a-g-approved courses.