The Entrepreneurial Mindset: Purposeful and Intentional Learning
True entrepreneurial spirit is driven by more than money. If you delve into the reasons why some people choose to abandon careers or seek the path less traveled, you’ll likely find an innate motivation that does not include dollar signs.
Entrepreneurship is about more than finding a need and filling it; it is about being purposeful and intentional as you fill that need. When it comes to learning, even at the earliest levels, growing a student’s knowledge base is not enough. To prepare students to become leaders and professionals who create change and find success, educators must also nurture the areas of social-emotional learning and community building.
Many of the entrepreneurial skills we hear about focus on intrinsic inspiration, and those are definitely important. However, just as important is the development of skills that take into consideration the extrinsic – empathy, compassion, and responsibility for how our decisions impact others and the world we live in.
Finding Your Purpose
When we talk about purpose, it is not solely at the individual level. It is finding a way to satisfy your passion by filling a need for others. Intentional entrepreneurs make decisions based on their values. They strive toward a goal, but they are able to pivot and adapt as needed.
These skills are encompassed by social-emotional learning. CASEL, the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning, defines social-emotional learning as “the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions and achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions.” There are six core competency areas:
- Self Awareness. Self awareness incorporates both the ability to see yourself clearly, including your values, passions, feelings, and the ability to understand how others see you.
- Self-management. Self management means you are able to recognize and take responsibility for your own behavior.
- Responsible decision-making. Being able to make a decision can be tough enough when you are the only person being impacted by that decision. Responsible decision-making is the ability to make decisions about your personal or business choices through the filters of your values, ethics and respect for others.
- Relationship skills. Relationships are a key factor in success. Building relationships means taking the time to learn about those around you and to show them that they are important to you.
- Social Awareness. Emotional intelligence, being able to understand and evaluate your own emotions is important; social awareness, being able to recognize and understand others’ emotions is critical.
- Community building. When individual members of a group strive to belong and help others feel this same sense of belonging, it nurtures a trust and a common bond that binds them. This can be achieved in groups that meet temporarily, or it can occur in settings that are meant to endure. Once a sense of camaraderie and a tie that binds is developed, even groups that on the face appear temporary can create enduring relationships.
A Personalized Education Designed for Success
Laurel Springs is committed to providing an education to students driven by passions and interests, preparing them for a purposeful and intentional future. We cater to a diverse group of learners through a model that embraces flexibility to allow students to mesh learning with living. A Laurel Springs education offers:
- An elite, selective online Academy for distinguished scholars,
- AP, Honors, and Dual Enrollment options,
- A Postgraduate (gap year) program, including internships and career exploration opportunities,
- Single and part-time course offerings,
- Asynchronous, unique learning paths and pace,
- Accredited K-12 online learning with qualified teachers in core content areas,
- Dedicated Student Services team members and resources for parents and families,
- Online clubs and activitiesfor students interested in creative and performing arts, health and sciences, leadership, language and travel, and more, as well as a secure social network for students and families.